Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New Sony Patent To Bring Trophies to PS1 & 2 Games
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Sony Patent To Bring Trophies to PS1 & 2 Games

New Sony Patent To Bring Trophies to PS1 & 2 Games 4 years, 2 months ago #13071

Sony have patented a method which could lead to trophy support for PS1 & PS2 games without developers having to modify the original games. This really clever little patent involves the PS3 (or PS4 depending on when it will be implemented) recognising where on the disc it has been reading as a cue to ping up a trophy. So, for example, your PS3 will read a certain area of the disc to play out an end of level cut-scene, letting the PS3 know that the end of the level has been reached & that the requirements for the trophy have been fulfilled & your trophy will ping up!
The link below shows a picture of the flow chart that shows exactly how the system would work -

CLICKY

I tried to put in just the flow chart, but it looked awful!

This is a really clever little idea this and one that I'm sure that developers will be happy with, as the cost to them to add trophy support to their older games will be slashed as they will no longer have to build the trophy support into the already written game code.

Looks like some of the old classics could well end up with trophy support after all - Konami will be gutted, it took them 4 years to add trophy support to MGS4, they could have done it in a fraction of the time (and money) with this method.

What do you guys think?

Marty

DON'T GET BITTER - GET BETTER!
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by MartyTheParty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: macxeno

Re: New Sony Patent To Bring Trophies to PS1 & 2 Games 4 years, 2 months ago #13072

• macxeno
It seems like a good idea but wouldn't it be limited to the digital versions ? or to those that have PS3s that can play older discs?

Re: New Sony Patent To Bring Trophies to PS1 & 2 Games 4 years, 2 months ago #13074

macxeno wrote:
It seems like a good idea but wouldn't it be limited to the digital versions ? or to those that have PS3s that can play older discs?

It should work on all fronts - digital for the older PS1 & PS2 classics that most of us (unless you have an original 60Bg phat-boy that still works!) can't play off the discs anymore or for all of the PS3 games released before trophy support was made mandatory for all games, which was after they released firmware v2.40 (if I remember right).

Marty

DON'T GET BITTER - GET BETTER!

Re: New Sony Patent To Bring Trophies to PS1 & 2 Games 4 years, 2 months ago #13090

• NoFX_Caz
I have just finished playing through and 100% completing the 3 original Spyro games (the only 3 worth a toss) and would happily play them all again if trophies were involved!

Old Platforming games would be so easy to add trophy support to as generally there is already something in the code that pops up when you have completed something (like Spyro when it pops up to say you have collected all the gems in 1 level or you have completed the level entirely)

Re: New Sony Patent To Bring Trophies to PS1 & 2 Games 3 years, 11 months ago #15109

I'd be we'll up for that. Plenty of great games from the old systems I'd love to get trophies and plats for. Even though its been months since this was posted, it's the 1st I'm hearing about it.

Re: New Sony Patent To Bring Trophies to PS1 & 2 Games 3 years, 11 months ago #15110

• NoFX_Caz
It would certainly make money, could you imagine how many games Sony would sell from the back catalogue if this came in?

I'd imagine quite a few developers would be interested too, it wouldn't take hardly any people to implement this in some older games and it would simply be easy money.

Re: New Sony Patent To Bring Trophies to PS1 & 2 Games 3 years, 11 months ago #15113

Im pretty sure I heard that the way they were going to do this was
Bassicly an app that runs with old console games.
because adding trophys to say ps1 games would meen them remaking the game
They have opted for an app to run with the games and give u trophys as certain points of the game.

Thats what I remember hearing
Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z1 smartphone

Re: New Sony Patent To Bring Trophies to PS1 & 2 Games 3 years, 11 months ago #15114

NoFX_Caz wrote:
It would certainly make money, could you imagine how many games Sony would sell from the back catalogue if this came in?

I'd imagine quite a few developers would be interested too, it wouldn't take hardly any people to implement this in some older games and it would simply be easy money.
Course. There's a demand there for it. People were pissed when they took the function to play PS2 games away. Adding in trophies also appeals to trophy hunters which seems to have increased in numbers from what I've seen the past 2-3 years. So much money making for Sony even they won't be able to spend it. Surprised it wasn't implemented for the PS3. Would have been better than releasing the HD collections which weren't all that good except the God of Wars. Tomb Raiders were ballocks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.59 seconds